Brett Finch guilty to treatment of child

Brett Finch guilty to treatment of child

0 reviews

As part of the investigations into a suspected child abuse material ring, Finch was one of eight individuals who were detained in late 2021.

In exchange for the prosecution dropping six other allegations, the former state of Origin fullback admitted guilt to one count of using a carriage service to transfer or distribute child abuse-related materials.

As Finch made his Tuesday morning appearance before the Downing Center Local Court in Sydney, he sat still.

Outside of court, his attorney Paul McGeer informed the media that his client was receiving therapy for mental health issues.

We only ask that everyone keep in mind that there are mental health difficulties, and that at this time, we must respect that.

Finch made his debut in 1999 and played 330 games for the Raiders, Roosters, Storm, and Wigan Warriors before announcing his retirement from the NRL at the conclusion of the 2013 season.

In December 2021, police invaded Finch's residence in San Susi, where they found him in custody and took his phone away for forensic analysis.

On an adult phone chat service at the time, members of the ring, according to the police, "indicated wants to engage [in] sexual acts with children."

Strike Force Hank was established by the NSW Police Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad to look into the alleged actions of men utilising the chat service.

Finch will continue to be free on bail and will return to court in September.

Brett Finch, a former star of the NRL, admitted using a sex hotline to distribute child abuse material.

Six charges against the former NSW State of Origin halfback were dropped on Tuesday, but he pleaded guilty to one count of using a carriage service to distribute child abuse materials.

Finch, 40, was detained last year during a search on his Sans Souci house by strike force detectives for his alleged involvement in an adult telephone line that was being used to send child abuse material.

In addition to being charged with five counts of using a carriage service to make child abuse material available, the police took his cellphone for forensic analysis.

Two more counts of using a carriage service to distribute child abuse materials were filed by the police earlier this year.

On Tuesday, he showed up in Sydney's Downing Center Local Court with his attorney Paul McGirr, who filed a guilty plea to one count.

Six further accusations against Finch of using a carriage service to distribute child abuse material were dropped.

He was detained on December 14 of last year and has since been released on bail.

In order to look into an adult telephone line that was allegedly used by men to transmit and discuss child abuse material, the NSW Police's child exploitation internet unit established Strike Force Hank last year.

In raids conducted last year in Sydney, Coffs Harbour, and Shoal Bay, police also detained seven additional individuals, ranging in age from 34 to 71.

One week after speaking candidly about his struggles with drug and alcohol addiction that have dogged his post-playing career, Finch was unexpectedly arrested.

Throughout his illustrious 270-game NRL career, Finch represented Canberra, Sydney Roosters, Parramatta, and Melbourne. This included the Storm's 2007 grand final victory over Parramatta, which was later erased from the record books due to salary cap cheating.

Because of an injury crisis in the Blues' halves, he was brought in as a late replacement in game one of the 2006 State of Origin series. He is best known for kicking the game-winning field goal.

After leaving the field, Finch transitioned into the media and worked as a sports commentator for Channel 9 and Fox Sports.

He admitted himself to a mental health hospital in 2019, and since then, he has claimed that his "rock bottom" moment came in 2016 after Channel 9 stood him down.

comments ( 0 )
please login to be able to comment
article by







similar articles